another logo possibility

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 20 10:55:14 PST 2006

Roy said:

>> But taken out of the context of petroglyph, we lose all that.
>> VOEvents do not occur on the moon, and they are not created by human
>> hands. So it is an inside joke.

I might say rather that it is an invitation to explain the
symbolism.  Events are created by God(tm), VOEvents are certainly
created by human hands.  Not all crescent objects are the moon - and
transient phenomena might occur on the moon or in these other
places.  But Harold's character set also includes a ringed planet
that might be Saturn.

And, of course, the moon is standing in for <WhereWhen>

>> I am also not so keen on the <XML/> symbolism, it seems to me we
>> should
>> not be exposing XML syntax, but rather hiding it.

Well, a little bit does go a long way.

>> I think the right logo is a simple simple thing, just an explosion
>> and
>> the word VOEvent, like the Tycho supernova.

Can somebody point to vector art of SNe, GRBs, etc?  Alasdair has
convinced me (didn't even need the Three Philosophers) that pixels is
for the birds.

Kirk said:

> Here is my submission, in keeping with Roy's suggestions.

What font is that?

Rob