VOEvent - Param comment

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Aug 8 09:05:41 PDT 2006

Al gets to the heart of the matter:

> the standard is the document which describes the standard. If the
> schema disagrees with the documented standard, it's the schema that
> is in the wrong.

Yes.  The VOEvent specification is at http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/
PR/VOE/VOEvent-20060629.html.  Any schema that successfully captures
that specification is acceptable.  A standard specified by a schema
is an oxymoron, just as would be a program specified by optimized,
position independent, dynamically linked machine code, rather than
its source.

> The VOEvent group has deliberately set out to create a standard
> without central control, providers and consumers can appear and
> disappear without application to a central authority, and without a
> formal process.

I'm of two minds about the excellent and useful word "process".  The
best uses of this word are invisible to the user.  My iMac is
skipping through dozens or hundreds or thousands of multiprocessing
context switches a second.  It is when a process involves a human
that such mechanistic interpretations are least welcome.  It is
rather embarrassing for the computer science world how many do-all,
be-all and end-all software processes have come and gone.  In other
communities, they look at things like Gantt and PERT charts as tools
to achieve a purpose, not the reflection of some categorical
imperative.  When forced to bow down to UML, I'm careful not to turn
my back.

I'm willing to believe that XML will still be going strong in 50
years.  It isn't so obvious that XML schemata as we currently know
them will be.  That said, the broader notion of a schema as a data
model certainly will.  The question for VOEvent v13.0 in 2056 will
remain the same:  Must a formal, static data model be submitted to
some central authority before a new type of alert can be created?

The obvious response to this is that nothing about XML schemata
require a central authority, per se.  When the IVOA infrastructure
and its tools mature to the point that individual authors, publishers
and subscribers can create and later modify schemata with telepathic
ease, I propose we revisit the question.  Two caveats:  1) I doubt
<params> will ever be deprecated whether or not most alerts begin to
reference included schemata - there will always be niche
applications, and 2) It is precisely communities like VOEvent who
have even a whiff of a hope to promulgate and popularize such flex-
schema infrastructure and tools.  As deployed VOEvent transport
networks like VOEventNet grow and mature, new types of messages will
evolve to provide new functionality.  A schema definition message
seems a possibility.  But does anybody perceive the VO or larger
astronomical community as being mature enough right now to know what
to do with such meta-meta-XML?  Horse to water and all that.

> Going down the creation of schema for individual message types
> route you would not, under any circumstances, just have had the
> adoption of VOEvent by the HTN community. The VOEvent group wants
> to make sure that it isn't just huge projects, that can afford to
> employ numerous dedicated programmers, that can author and consume
> event messages.

I've already expressed my amusement to Al at the notion of huge
astronomical software projects :-)  The success of VOEvent will be
realized by its adoption in the field for mission critical
applications.  GCN has been very successful by this definition.  That
Scott has been a central player in VOEvent suggests both a bright
future for the newer project, but also that GCN has identified a
route to evolve past its own limitations.  The world's most perfect
technology could be devised, but it would be useless if it is never -
um - used.

Let's just give VOEvent a software process name, say - agile
programming - and declare victory.

> Science is about serendipity, at least the fun exciting bits are,
> not about central planning.

It's about both, but central planning doesn't equate to Stalinesque
central control.

Rob