VOEvent - Param comment

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Aug 7 10:34:55 PDT 2006

Hi Petr,

Your points are well taken and as Roy and Tony allude, have been
raised before.

> You are making in my point-of-view classical XML-designers mistake.

I disagree - we are making avant garde XML choices, not classical XML
mistakes :-)  An explicit architectural trade-off was made between
supporting general purpose params versus elements custom tailored for
each alert type.  VOEvent happens to be realized using XML, but it
isn't an XML technology per se.  Just as XML itself has a broader
range of applicability than just as a delivery mechanism for the zen
of schema.

Perhaps someone can comment on why VOTable itself has <params>.
Shouldn't each table be tailored to match its content?

> <GRB>
>  <trigger_num>114299</trigger_num>
>  <rate_signif>20.49</rate_signif>
>  <grb_inten>73288</grb_intent>
> </GRB>

In an ideal world, your suggestion is superior.  We have known this
from the beginning.  Note that nothing about VOEvent should be taken
as forbidding such usage in a future version, say v2.0.  We would
need to be clear on the VOEvent ground rules (not just the XML rules)
for including additional alert-specific schema.  The success or
failure of these hand-tailored schema would be driven by market
pressures, just like VOEvent itself.

The current state of the VOEvent community is different.  We are
attempting to bootstrap VOEvent from today's complex world of many
non-interoperable, non-XML, astronomical alert systems.  The choices
made under such circumstances may be quite distinct from some
idealized vision.  We should all be gratified at the success that
VOEvent has demonstrated to date.  Success speaks for itself.

> Mayby that's right for scientics, but for computer programmer it's
> a nightmare. And for robotic telescope operation it is nearly useless.

Well, actually, it is the robotic telescope community who have
adopted VOEvent most enthusiastically.  VOEvent compliant code is
already driving nightly robotic operations.

It has certainly been entertaining to watch the recurring debates
between the astronomy side and the computer science side of the
Virtual Observatory efforts.  I've yet to see a single issue where
one side is entirely right or entirely wrong.  The more genuine
disagreements tend to come between the scientific programmers and the
computer science programmers - the folks who need to make it work.
Whatever else is true of all of the many fascinating VO projects - at
the end of the day, a pragmatic real world solution must exist and
must be proven to be sustainably operable.

> You really need to define possible content, most probably starting
> from what we know and use currently (e.g. GCN format is well
> established) and going to more difficult areas, where GCN example
> is not available.

VOEvent is the same type of effort as GCN was originally.  GCN-2 will
be VOEvent compliant.  We are precisely in the business of defining
formats, just as GCN has been before us.  To require a full formal
data-modeling effort in advance of permitting new alert types to be
issued, would be to cut the legs out from under the entire concept of
issuing alerts for transient astronomical phenomena.

It is precisely the poorly characterized phenomena whose alerts are
the most valuable.  We could do a wonderful job of crafting a fully
specified, semantically rich, content-complete alert for eclipsing
binary stars.  Few would bother to either author or subscribe to such
alerts.

A certain frisson of the unknown must pertain to any scientifically
useful alert.

Rob