VOEvent - Param comment

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 7 09:15:41 PDT 2006

On Aug 7, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Petr Kubanek wrote:
> You are making in my point-of-view classical XML-designers mistake.

This is not a mistake, but on the contrary, there was a great deal of
thought (and argument) went into it. This is a compromise between
structure and flexibility.

The structured approach is
     <trigger_num>114299</trigger_num>
and the flexible approach is
    <Param name="trigger_num" value="114299" ucd="meta.id" />

The former is certainly easier for the computers to validate, and
makes nicer code when the code-binding tools are used. But the
problem here is that we don't know in advance what kind of
measurements will be made. Perhaps one group measures something
called "trigger_num", other VOEvent providers have other names for
parameters. It would be very difficult for those providers to use a
structured approach. There would be "extra" schemas for each dialect
of VOEvent, the authors would need to build and document such a sub-
schema, put the schema into a permanent web-accessible repository,
and be careful with versioning every time it changes. The subscriber
to such events would also have trouble bringing in the correct schema
and validating it.

And there's the rub: the more effort we demand from authors, the less
likely they are to become part of VOEvent.

> By letting free UCDs parameters you actually say: we don't care
> about researching which ever possible events can be transported by
> VOEvent,

No. We have said that in one part of the VOEvent there will be data
whose structure we cannot know in advance, and that the structure
there will change faster than our versioning process.

Perhaps you could help us in a constructive way by defining what kind
of parameters the INTEGRAL instruments will be producing when they
report an event. We would be happy to help you to add structure in
the form of Group elements and UCDs.

When evaluating a VOEvent for possible follow-up, we see different
approaches by different groups. Some may look at the name of the
author organization and the "importance" score of the event, and know
the meaning of that scale of importance. Others may look at the "Why"
section where the author has a hypothesis ("80% chance it is a
supernova"). Others may know the meanings of the Group names and
Param names in the "What" section and be able to decide based on
these values.

Roy Williams

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670