An STC "when" and "where" example

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Mar 31 05:53:35 PST 2005

> This is nothing to do with the IAU accepted practices, and everything
> to do with the way you build the architectures for reliable and robust
> web services.

As usual when passionate discussion arises, folks are really talking
about two different things.  Might I humbly suggest that VOEvent in
particular, and VO in general, will benefit from being informed by IAU
best practices?

Here are the four focus areas for the workshop:

1: What are the purposes of a system that exchanges information about
immediate astronomical events (VOEvents).

2: What is the semantic structure of a VOEvent message? Is the "Who,
When, Where, What, How" paradigm the correct one?

3: How can we make a set of adjectives ("ontology") that can be used to
describe a VOEvent

4: How can we build a system that exchanges VOEvent messages for the
purposes that we uncover in Focus Area 1?

Arnold (and I) are mostly talking about the early steps.  Alasdair is
mostly talking about the later steps.  One has to imagine that when we
meet in the middle (like a stellar model simultaneously solved outward
from the core and inward from the photosphere) that the resulting
semantics and system will be stronger for it.

Rob Seaman
NOAO