An STC "when" and "where" example

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Mar 29 20:47:46 PST 2005

Alasdair Allan writes:

> I think we need something much simpler, at least to start with, it's
> possible that in time, we may need to add complications into the
> specification. But to start with at least I think we have to, must,
> keep the VOEvent spec as lightweight as possible.

Perhaps the implementations can start simple, but the specification
should be as complete as possible from the start.  I don't think this
is impossible or even difficult.  Make the inclusion of one or more STC
objects an optional feature.

> Eh? Unless we're trying to design something very different than I
> think we're trying to design, I really don't see spectral
> characterisation as being central to a VOEvent specification.

Obviously a VOEvent must include some statement of what the event
actually was.  If the event represents a detection, one could use STC
to characterize its spectral signature.  This could perhaps simplify
the remainder of the VOEvent specification.

Rob Seaman
NOAO