On the "when" and "where"

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Mar 22 11:24:40 PST 2005

Roy Williams writes:

> I quite agree with you that simplicity is not enough, and that the
> VOEvent schema should include a comprehensive space-time specification
> such as STC. But at the same time, I do not want to lose simplicity.
>
> Questions
>
> -- If I wish to report an event that happened at given RA, Dec with a
> one-degree error disk, how simple can the STC specification be?
>
> -- If I wish to report an event that happened at some time within a
> 6-hour exposure, how simple can the STC specification be?

Take a look at example B.4 from
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/PR/STC/STC-20050315.html and omit the
PixelSpace reference for an idea of the complexity.  This is an
example, of course, of an event that corresponds to a single
observation.  Perhaps Arnold has a better example.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the statement that "simplicity is
not enough" tied to "I do not want to lose simplicity".  The general
case of reporting an event can be quite "interesting".  Either that
complexity needs to be supported by the standard - or the standard must
be limited to only a simplified set of event types.  I think one of
Arnold's main points was that a VOEvent could inherit (in both the
colloquial and technical sense) support for the full range of
coordinate support from STC.

> -- Can I take a time as specified by LIGO and put it into STC? Or a
> time as specificed by GCN? Is the translation straightforward?

I think the point would be to support reporting in any useful timescale
that might be adopted by VO member organizations. STC currently claims
support for:  TT, TDT, ET, TAI, IAT, UTC, TDB, TEB, TCG, TCB, LST and
LOCAL timescales.  Some of these are synonyms or are deprecated, but
presumably there is also some mechanism for adding to the list.  At any
rate, the need for translating coordinates within VOEvent is not
obvious beyond the requirement that the coordinates be understandable
to anybody likely to benefit from subscribing to a particular type of
event.

Please see the letter from McMarthy, et.al. in the March 2005 AAS
Newsletter for sufficient reason to be concerned about blindly using
MJD or any other way of expressing UTC.  VOEvents must support multiple
choices for the timescale.

I see that Arnold has also replied to confirm some of my information:

> Two points:
> - STC does tie time to a spatial frame.  ObsDataLocation requires an
> observatory location which <TOPOCENTER> refers to; other explicit
> spatial locations are in the package as well.
> - STC does also include specification of areas in all coordinates -
> regions and intervals.

I haven't fully digested STC, but there appears to be a distinction
between a Time Frame and a Coordinate:

	"The Time Frame contains two or three objects: a reference position,
	a time scale, and, optionally, a time reference direction."

Whereas:

	"A Coordinate is an aggregate of up to 6 objects: CoordName,
CoordValue,
	CoordError, CoordResolution, CoordSize, and CoordPixSize."

In this, VOEvent v0.3 has the advantage of expressing a "TimeError",
while STC appears not to.  (Or perhaps a Time Frame IS a Coordinate?)
Certainly the resolution of the clock might be at least as important as
the resolution of the setting circles on a virtual telescope.

Rob Seaman
NOAO