On the "when" and "where"

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 22 11:23:30 PST 2005

Sorry Roy, I may not have phrased the question clearly.
The emphasis was on "nobody knows when".
You were asking about an event that happened within a certain region
(though with an ambiguous specification) without any further
information being available about it.  That did not seem a useful thing.

  - Arnold

Roy Williams wrote:
> > Do you really mean to report an event that happened, nobody knows
> > when, somewhere within a circle with (radius? diameter?) of one
> > degree?
>
> There are many astrophysical events that have poor spatial location. The specificity
> comes in another dimension, perhaps time, perhaps wavelength. GRB, LIGO, cosmic ray
> showers come to mind.
>
> These communities may already have schema for describing their particular events, and
> I hope to include their semantics in the VOEvent discussion.
>
> Roy

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu