On the "when" and "where"

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 22 10:45:29 PST 2005

Thank you for your support, Rob.  Time is my priority, too.
Two points:
- STC does tie time to a spatial frame.  ObsDataLocation requires an
observatory location which <TOPOCENTER> refers to; other explicit
spatial locations are in the package as well.
- STC does also include specification of areas in all coordinates -
regions and intervals.

To round it out, spectral and redshift coordinates are included, too,
since all of these coordinates are intertwined, and errors are an
integral part.

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Arnold Rots writes:
> > proper STC object (to be precise, ObsDataLocation) would take care of
> > that.

> Personally, I'm more concerned about capturing appropriate temporal
> coordinates.  A scalar time (whether MJD or not) plus an uncertainty is
> insufficient.  This also currently appears to not be fleshed out that
> much more in STC:
>
>      <TimeFrame>
>        <Name>Time</Name>
>        <TimeScale>TT</TimeScale>
>        <TOPOCENTER/>
>      </TimeFrame>
>
> There still seems to be a focus on scalar time, but the addition of a
> timescale to correspond to the frame of the spatial coordinates is
> absolutely critical.  For instance, it is quite likely that there will
> be a major upheaval in the UTC standard in the next few years.  We must
> retain the flexibility of using timescales other than UTC.  (Note that
> this applies equally to derived representations such as MJD.)
>
> One is confident that an appropriate representation can be found for
> capturing the celestial coordinates (plus errors and frame) along with
> a scalar timestamp (plus error and timescale) for a typical point
> source event.  We must also appropriately characterize less point like
> events - less point in time as well as space.  Some events will be
> observed to start, and then to end.  Examples from the draft include
> solar flares and volcanic activity on IO, but could also include any
> number of extra-solar phenomena stretching from stellar to
> extragalactic astronomy.

> Rob Seaman
> NOAO
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu