On the "when" and "where"

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Tue Mar 22 10:37:42 PST 2005

Rob and Arnold

Thank you for illuminating the coordinate system issue. I quite agree with you that
simplicity is not enough, and that the VOEvent schema should include a comprehensive
space-time specification such as STC. But at the same time, I do not want to lose
simplicity.

Questions

-- If I wish to report an event that happened at given RA, Dec with a one-degree
error disk, how simple can the STC specification be?

-- If I wish to report an event that happened at some time within a 6-hour exposure,
how simple can the STC specification be?

-- Can I take a time as specified by LIGO and put it into STC? Or a time as
specificed by GCN? Is the translation straightforward?

Roy

--------
California Institute of Technology
roy at caltech.edu