VOEvent working draft published: version, param

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Sat Jun 25 03:51:18 PDT 2005

> sky, you can't sit around and wait for 10 seconds while some
> software parses a lengthly XML message.

Now this is the bit of your argument I don't get, Al. are you really saying
that it takes less time to act upon:
  <param name="ActionItem" value="HoistTheMainsail" ucd="ship.sail.action"
/>
than:
  <shipns:ActionItem>
    HoistTheMainsail
  </shipns:ActionItem>
or, if you want to keep the weak typing:
  <shipns:ActionItem value="HoistTheMainsail" />
?

Sorry, I don't buy that. In the case of the <param> you need to find all the
<param> elements during the record parsing, match the names against your
internal lookup table of names you understand and then act upon them, while
with the simple element inclusion the action is fired when the record
parsing hits the recognised element. The latter has to be significantly
faster.

> sending XML over SOAP (especially over
> HTTP) is very slow.

Using named elements instead of strings in <param>s will have no effect on
the sending speed afaics. In fact it ought to be faster because it is
shorter: explicitly named elements do not require UCDs to accompany them in
the record.

> time, any suggestion of making the standard more complex is

I am arguing to make the standard simpler: the <param> element makes for
ambiguity and so makes handling it more complex. Just because the length of
the standard document is shorter does not mean it is simpler: usually the
opposite.

Cheers,
Tony.