VOEvent working draft published: version, param

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jun 24 21:08:28 PDT 2005

> Alasdair Allan wrote:
>
>> Rob Seaman wrote:
>>
>>> It is precisely the highly experienced "writers of transmitting
>>> server software and receiving applications" who I expect would be
>>> least receptive at this point of backpedaling toward a VOEvent
>>> specification that requires an explicit new extension schema be
>>> written for each instrument supported.
>>
>> Yup, the current standard "as is" is fairly slim line, adding
>> something like new extension schema on a per instrument basis
>> would be a total nightmare. No way...
>
> Actually lets be blunt. I would be totally unable to justify
> lending my support to such as standard.

This may have already been demonstrated to be a moot question several
times over - i.e., it ain't gonna happen and it appears like it
doesn't have to in the first place because standard XML can already
do what Tony wants, but I seriously doubt anybody building example
software would ever choose to do it that way anyway - but there is
another layer of mootness here that has yet to be addressed.  Namely,
Rick has already done more-or-less exactly what Tony suggests via RTML.

Rob