voconcept thread

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jun 14 09:50:46 PDT 2005

I'm going to forward a thread from ucd-sci to the general voevent
list (not the core list that is trying like the dickens to get a
candidate v1.0 into your hands for evaluation).  One of the
unresolved issues for VOEvent is a need to express hypotheses about
objects and processes.  This in turn depends on being able to
describe - or, at least, name - those objects and processes.  Rick
has enthusiastically pursued the goal of extending UCDs to include
these "concepts".  The UCD folks have not been entirely welcoming.
We should focus on our pragmatic goals, not on the VO politics, so
let's reopen the discussion over here.  There will be a few messages
to follow.  Discussion - radical discussion, I would say on this list
- is encouraged.

Also a reminder that v1.0 is indeed looming.  It has already been
decided to leave any attempt to address the concept semantics until
v1.1, so once we pin down a few issues it will be time for the whole
working group to get back to work vetting v1.0.  Several of our
number will be (have been) implementing actual software and they need
a solid foundation to code against.  More later.

Rob Seaman
NOAO