UTC - A Cautionary Tale Revisited

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 6 00:35:30 PDT 2005

Howdy,

An entry for the "I hate it when I'm right" category:

On July 4th, the International Earth Rotation Service (IERS)
announced that the first leap second in seven years will be issued at
the end of December 2005.  This lengthy hiatus has been unprecedented
- and the next paragraph may emphasize familiar warnings about idle
hands.

On July 5th, the head of the IERS made the first quasi-official
pronouncement that the next leap second may be the last leap second.
The summary below is the most detailed proposal that has ever been
circulated.  I've appended my slides from the VOEvent workshop for
some context.  If you haven't visited Steve Allen's excellent UTC
resources at http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs, this would be a
good time to do so and form your own opinions about the proper future
for UTC.  There is some indication that Gambis himself supports the
continuance of leap seconds.  If you agree, consider taking his
advice and contacting the individuals indicated.

Time is short - literally.

Rob
------

Begin forwarded message: