VOEvent RSS2.0 feeds (was Re: VOEvent II summary, part 3)

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 11:01:16 PST 2005

All,

I've just completed a major overhaul of the eSTAR event broker, which
generalises code which was a bit on the TALONS specific side and allows
me to connect to any TCP/IP feed with a minor configuration tweak
rather than cut-and-paste code duplication. So, post-meeting, if anyone
apart from Robert and I has a "mini-interop compliant" VOEvent feed let
me know and I'll hook you up to the broker.

These changes were made in preparation for me pushing my event feed(s)
to Matthew's prototype repository via TCP. However that means that
other things have been moved around.

You can now retrieve a server specific RSS2.0 feed for each of the
eSTAR brokered feed from the generalised URL of

   http://www.estar.org.uk/voevent/XXX/XXX.rdf

where XXX should be replaced by the name of the organisation in which
you're interested.

Right now the only feed available is from RAPTOR/TALONS and will be
available at,

   http://www.estar.org.uk/voevent/RAPTOR/RAPTOR.rdf

it currently carries the TALONS translation of the GCN event notices.

On the downside I've currently got the eSTAR internal event feed shut
down for an infrastructure overhaul as I have to re-factor some code to
make use of these cool new classes I'm writing to handle events rather
than the older eSTAR-native stuff it's currently using...

But it'll be back at the start of January, and will therefore be
available at

   http://www.estar.org.uk/voevent/eSTAR/eSTAR.rdf

as you'd expect. It'll carry eSTAR native notices only, there is
currently a placeholder file at that endpoint to allow subscriptions.

There will be a combined feed along shortly, or it wouldn't be much of
a broker, as soon as my TCP server comes back up after re-factoring
(probably not long after Christmas). This will be published via TCP and
RSS2.0. It will, probably, be at a URL of

   http://www.estar.org.uk/voevent/feed.rdf

The FeedBurner feed has been temporarily pointed at the TALONS GCN feed
for those 8 of you currently subscribed. I'll point it back at the
combined feed as soon as it's back on line.

Apologies for the disruption and the long post.

Merry Christmas,
Al.