URLs?

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 15:25:23 PST 2005

Roy Williams wrote:
> Ray Plante wrote:
>> Alasdair Allan wrote:
>>>
>>> Err, no. This was never the case IMHO...
>>
>> I just looked more closely at the version I read last week, and indeed
>> what I said is not quite correct, but close....
>
> My understanding is exactly what you wrote. It means that when
> identifiers are chosen, the part before the # corresponds to a
> database, and the part after is the sequence number in that database.
>
> However, some of the potential customers of VOEvent want to send out
> events without the need for archiving them in a database, so they will
> not be resolvable in the way we thought.  We concluded at the workshop
> that there is nothing wrong with that. However, I am not sure how to
> build the identifier in this case.

We concluded during the mini-interop, following the meeting, that while
the original publisher might not be archiving the original message
there may be one (or more) distributed repositories which is doing so.
To retrieve  a specific message at that point you'd go to the Regsitry
and request a list of repositories that archived a certain publisher.
You'd then pick one, and retrieve the message from them. It would be
the responsibility of the repositories to register the list of
publishers that they were archiving with the VO Registry.

Of course there is nothing to stop a publisher also acting as a
repository.

I think we've moved to a much more decentralised network, and in my
opinion this is a good thing! Rob was taking notes during the
mini-interop and I think we should wait for him to push these to the
group before moving forward with this discussion to bring everyone up
to speed with what we discussed there (we got through a lot of stuff).

Cheers,
Al.