Across the 8th Dimension

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Aug 2 15:58:59 PDT 2005

Some will have seen the thread in the Tech WG regarding the newly
discovered Planet Ten:

>     From:       mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
>     Subject:     [nvo-techwg] Why security is necessary in service-
> oriented astronomy
>     Date:     August 1, 2005 12:09:59 PM MST
>     To:       techwg at us-vo.org
>
> Hi,
>
> A lot of people have said that security should not be a big concern
> for the astronomical community, after all what is the worst that
> could happen: so have a look at the section entitled "Why the hasty
> annoucement? What about the hacking? What is going on here?" on:
>
> http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/planetlila/
>
> Rather sobering really.
>
>    Cheers,
>
>    Matthew

Certainly my own immediate reaction to the news was to worry about VO
security.  (We all really have to get out more :-)

As we worry about the threat of the Lectroids from Planet Ten - or
more frightening yet, about why Jeff Goldblum is dressed like a
cowboy - we may want to consider the implications for VOEvent of
activities similar to the harvesting of observing logs.  I've
appended my own contribution to the techwg thread to get the ball
rolling over here.  I'd like to see some cycles expended on VOEvent
authentication prior to v1.1.  There are a lot of other issues we
have to sort out, but nobody will use VOEvent if they don't trust the
packets.

Our goal should be for the discovery of Planet Eleven to be announced
via a VOEvent packet.  Just need to cook up a PressConference.xsl
translator in anticipation.

Rob Seaman
NOAO
---