New UCDs for VOEvent please

Patricio F. Ortiz pfo at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 03:43:04 PDT 2005

Hi,

I didn't want to jump into this discussion, but what the heck :-)

OK, I'm concerned about the usage of this new proposal. UCDs were born to
identify quantities listed in tables (essentially a way to let automated
software recognize the nature of the columns in such table). We left out
any attempt to include object types, after all, a magnitude is something
which applies to a planet, star, galaxy, QSO, whatever, and so with many
things like spectral features.

It is obvious that in the context of the VO, we would like to have some
way to attach a label to the kind of object we are talking about. And the
proposed schemes sound doable, not easy, not 100% reliable, but workable.

My questions to anyone interested are:

"how do you envision using these new UODs (Unified Object-type
Descriptor)?"  By that, I mean, in which part of the metadata would you
like to insert theses descriptors?

Catalogues like USNO, 2mass, etc, contain a mixture of objects, and even
homogeneous catalogues (like galaxies catalogues) will contain several
flavours of galaxies, hence my concern.

An object type may not be unique... How do we handle those cases? (after
all, these are flags/labels to make our life easier. If the core of a
galaxy is an AGN, what does the descriptor look like?
UCDs of physical quantities are much easier to handle in that sense! (as
noted below regarding the unicity of a UCD).

How deep do we want to describe an object? Say that the same AGN has
exhibited variations in HBeta flux (ok, kick for the incorrectness :-) :-)
Do we want to describe such variability? For some people/applications it
will be important, for others not.

Although Frederic says that a SN will always be a SN, sure, but what
about before? If Eta Car went SN next month, how would we label it?

Furthermore, objects may not change in human-lifetime scales, but
our perception can... I recall in the mid 80's that the core of the
Tarantula Nebula (R136??) was thought to be a super-massive star, only to
be discovered later, using instrument with higher angular resolution
that it was a compact star cluster... I'm nearly sure there are other
examples floating around.

For the historians, as Frederic says, should we think of attaching a
time stamp to any UOD/object pair? After all, if tomorrow we have to
change it, should we erase the previous knowledge?

Just my 2 pences :-)

Patricio

---
Patricio F. Ortiz			pfo at star.le.ac.uk
Department of Physics & Astronomy	Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2015
University of Leicester
Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK