New UCDs for VOEvent please

Frederic V. "Rick" Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Tue Apr 26 07:57:35 PDT 2005

Another thought....

On 26 Apr 2005, at 4:20 pm, Rob Seaman wrote:

> The challenge here is not only that the list will never be complete,
> it is that we should be encouraging researchers to actively augment
> and improve the list.  A workable classification scheme is often the
> first step in organizing a research program.  But the result of a
> research program is often to overturn the original classification
> scheme.  We don't want to provide a mechanism that is only useful for
> describing objects far removed from the cutting edge.

The "cutting edge" will always be such that one won't have a useful
classification scheme other than unusual combinations of the more
general bits and pieces.  That's why the UCD has to be hierarchical (to
emphasize/extract general properties even when given specifics) and
easily combined.  Let's see.....

		cosmology.dark_energy	<==	cosmology.background;em.microwave
								cosmology.background.polarization;em.microwave
								stars.supernova.Type_Ia;process.eruption.hydrodynamic;
process.eruption.thermonuclear
								galaxies.velocity_curve
								cosmology.abund

(Aha - already discovered a few important UCD's to add....!)

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman      Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Universitaets-Sternwarte     Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Geismarlandstr. 11                Fax +49-551-39-5043
37083 Goettingen                 http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.uni-goettingen.de