VOEvent draft specification 0.3

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:22:24 PST 2004

This from Paul Price with permission.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Price" <price at ifa.hawaii.edu>
To: "Roy Williams" <roy at caltech.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: VOEvent draft specification 0.3

Please note the correct spelling of "Pan-STARRS" (the Panoramic Survey Telescope and
Rapid Response System).  I'm sure that LIGO should be capitalised; possibly QUEST
also.

I suggest that the default coordinate frame should be ICRS (which is close to, but
not identical with J2000), since it is the modern standard.

Curation Date should include hms to allow multiple releases within the same day.

"Importance" needs further fleshing out.

The discussion on the GCN is a bit too simple.  The GCN consists of two independent
mechanisms.  The first is the notices, which consist of token-value pairs (some of
which are parsed onto a single line for cell phones etc), distributed by e-mail or
internet socket.  The second is the circulars, which are free text, basically an
e-mail mailing list.  The notices are quite successful at allowing robotic
observation of GRBs, but also provide rapid notification for humans as well, while
the circulars are intended solely for human reading.  Hence there are
multiple schema.

The GCN notices are quite diverse, varying according to the requirements of each
mission.  For details, see http://gcn.gsfc.nasa.gov/gcn/sock_pkt_def_doc.html  The
most common keywords are RA, Dec, position error, type, serial number, trigger
number, time.

P.