May 2009 InterOp - SimDAP/S3 Task List

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 16 12:59:09 PDT 2009

Hello,

As I promised at the end of the InterOp, here is a brief summary of
some of our discussions, and what we've agreed to do. Most of these
issues were covered in the closing plenary session, which can be
found on the Twiki [1]. These items are presented separately from
discussion about SimDB and the data modeling.

This is exceptionally terse, and in part is just a reminder
(particularly for myself). Other than my commitment to get the draft
service metadata XML Schema document done, please take any timelines
as suggestions. And, as always, please correct me if I've presented
something inaccurately.

--Rick

[1] http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/PlenaryISXB/TIG_closing.pdf

= Service Descriptions =

== Draft VOResource Extension ==

Who:  R. Wagner
When: End of June

Actions:
   * Draft an XML Schema based on the VOResource Schema, for a theory
data services with:
     * Optional fixed operations (ListSnapshots, Cutout, Preview, etc.)
     * Description of custom operations (parameters, protocols, results)

Note:
The Schema will not describe the service response, which should be a
VOTable with a list of access references to the actual data. These
references could lead to images in FITS or PNG, tables in a VOTable
document or CSV, or even to a VOTable providing a description of the
internal structure of the files (see Theoretical Data File Format,
below).

== Example Service Descriptions ==

Who: M. Cerviño, C. Rodrigo Blanco, P. Manzato, R. Wagner
When: July/August

Actions:
   * Using the draft Schema, build instance documents describing
existing services, e.g.,
     * BaSTI
     * DUSTY
     * VOSA
     * etc.

Note:
These service description will try to use SimDB data model to
describe the custom operations. In particular, this will help us to
distinguish operations that provide data based on some input
parameters (possibly called the provenance), and operations that
provide data that meets some characterization.

Again, please, I am not trying to raise any points about the data
model here. I think that discussion will more valid when we have the
XML Schema, example service descriptions, and query results to look at.

== Dynamic Interface Building ==

Who: M. Cerviño, C. Rodrigo Blanco, P. Manzato
When: August/September

Actions:
   * For custom operations, test the compatibility with S3 clients.
   * Main question is whether custom operations can describe an S3
service.

= Theory Data File Format =

Who: R. Wagner, C. Gheller
When: July

Actions:
   * Currently in the SimDAP Note, move this information to a
separate document.
   * Simplify the format to use a few tables, describing files,
fields, and arrays.
   * Test with VisIVO.