Spectra DM for theoretical spectra?

bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jun 3 02:48:57 PDT 2009

I almost fully agree with Alberto, there.

That is if we are facing the simulated observation (simulated spectrum
Or image), the simulation experiment which gave this dataset is definitely
part of the provenance. So in the case of a simulation described according
to SimDB datamodel, the provenance of the dataset should hook a lot of
material from SimDB.

 But Alberto, where does the confusion come from with our colleagues?

In SimDB itself there is a characterization class. As Rick states it
describes distributions of values for quantities (they say properties)
Measured on ObjectCollections (part of the so called Snapshot), such as
metallicity or  RMS Mach number. Also such things as resolution which makes
some confusion also. SimDB Characterization metadata gives min/max mean,
mode or statistical moments for these distribution of values.( I did not
understand that they will describe the input parameters of the simulation as
well... )

   SO if we are facing a simulated dataset we have the following situation:
      A spectrum as  an IVOA Char + Provenance description
       This provenance provides hooks to SimDB description of the
simulation. This Description contains itself a SimDBCharacterization
description of the Simulated reality (star, particules, etc...) but is not
limited to it .

      You may read in one of the compilation mails I sent you this morning
how the two Charac are related.
      In my opinion, development of level 4 of IVOA characterization could
fulfill the needs of SimDB (statistical). I may explain this in more
details.
Some other people (including Gerrad and Rick I suppose) prefer to derive the
two charac (IVOA one and SimDB one) from a more abstract common model

Cheers
François