SimDB with undefined fields?

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Mon Jun 1 00:42:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

After several talks in the interop I had began to mapping my uses
cases in a SimDB way, but there I found some problems. My uses cases
have the following in common:

- Input data (and params) are not know "a priory" but supposed to be
obtained from other VO services
(real VO interop ;)

[Examples: Photoionization code with input continuum obtained from a
theoretical spectra service
                      Single stellar population models built from
cluster/stellar libraries (theoretical or observational ones)
                            and isochrones that may be available "at
that moment" in the VO]

In this case the workflow is:
a) client ask the service the possible parameters
b.1) service ask the registry to look for "different" registered
services that are used as input in my service
b.2) the service return the client the list of models that can be
build with the parameter range that
           can be built in that moment.
c) .... the standard protocol (whatever it means) follows

It means, in my real science cases (that are the most trivial ones by
people I working with) I need to
ask recursively to the registry, and only after that I can fill my
input parameters and other fields
included in SimDB. The problem is that most of the fields (excepting
the version number of my code and
the bibliographic references) can only filled "at the moment" the user
makes his/her query, but not before.

Maybe I had lost something, but this kind of cases can be addressed
with SimDB?

cheers

	Miguel

"Nunca se debe intentar contentar a
quienes nunca se van a dar por contentos"

                        Javier Marias