=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_in_place_of_Herv=E9=28herve.wozniak at newb6.u-s?= =?ISO59-1?Q?trasbg.fr=29?=

Santi Cassisi cassisi at oa-teramo.inaf.it
Fri Feb 20 02:56:13 PST 2009

Dear Carlos

I have nothing against Miguel and/or any person of your group. You
did really a very good job. The aim of my message
was just to say : "we need to discuss definitively about this point
and to make clear to persons like me that have a very poor knowledge
about
this issue the pro and cons of the various possible (suggested)
protocols.
  all the best
  Santi

Il giorno 20/feb/09, alle ore 11:49, Carlos Rodrigo Blanco ha scritto:

> ------=neXtPaRt_1235126999
>
>> 1) I fully agree with the Herve'' s statement " something can not be
>> considered accepted if the others do not express their opinion"..
>> I think that we should start a discussion (see below).
>
> I don't even think that Miguel thinks that. And actually he doesn't
> say
> such a thing in his mail.
>
> I guess that he just wanted to start this discussion. We submitted
> a note about S3, and we know perfectly that a note is not an standard
> (actually, few things in the VO are standards), it's just a
> proposal to be
> discussed. And it is a proposal that is fully described in a document,
> that follows the same philosophy that other VO standars, that has been
> implemented for several cases of interest and has been presented in
> several talks.
>
> We don't intend it to be perfect (of course it isn't) or to be the
> full
> solution to all the problems in a "theory in the VO" context. So we
> are
> absolutely open to comments, discussion, critizisms and whatever
> idea that
> can improve it or change it to make it more useful.
>
> But we don't really understand, either, why the SimDB/SimDAP
> iniciative is
> promoted to other IVOA groups as the "proposal by the Theory Interest
> Group" when we, at this group, haven't been able to really discuss it.
>
> The fact, as I see it, is that this group has been always the "SNAP
> interest group", the "cosmological simulations interest group" or the
> "big numerical simulations interest group". It's not really a
> critizism, I
> think that we all saw it in this way, both the people interested in
> that
> kind of simulations and the people that were interested in other
> questions. In fact, other things related to theoretical models in
> the VO,
> like theoretical spectra models, were discussed somewhere else with no
> interaction at all with this group. Even at Cambridge, when Miguel
> asked
> about the group interest in this things he was aswered with
> something like
> "we are not really interested in that, if you are interested, it is
> your
> work to promote and lead that subject".
>
> Only recently this group has started to be interested in other kind of
> theoretical problems that have been labeled as "microsimulations" but
> biased by the original perspective (and it's perfectly understable).
>
> Actually, I don't really understand why we should work in a unique
> idea or
> protocol. I think that it is as saying that the VO should have only
> one
> protocol for observational data and that SSAP, SIAP, ConeSearch,
> Skynode,
> [...]

Santi Cassisi
INAF - Astronomical Observatory of Teramo
Via M. Maggini s.n.c.
64100 Teramo, Italy

Tel +39-0861-439713
Fax +39-0861-439740