S3/SimDAP

Herve Wozniak herve.wozniak at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Nov 3 05:56:56 PST 2008

Dear colleagues,

First let me warmly thank those of you who have participated in the
'four' theory sessions during the last INTEROP. I guess we have made
some progresses useful for the theory. I also expect we will have
fruitful discussions in preparation to the next step, the INTEROP in
Strasbourg. Indeed, I believe we need to have a lot of interaction
between the INTEROP to allow a smooth progress. The theory at ivoa.net
mailing list is a useful tool because mails are archived  keeping track
of the discussions, but telecons have proven to be also very fruitful to
understand some tricky points.

The first point I'd like to address is the possible/likely converge
between S3 and SimDAP. Even if we ended up with two separated access
protocols, I still quite confident that working all together it would be
possible, with a minimal effort and not too additional complexity, to
handle all kinds of simulations. For instance, the cutout service is
already optional in the proposal made by Claudio and Rick (cf Rick'
presentation on thursday) so this is no more a barrier to microsims.

Having the 'microsimulation' session just a few hours before the closure
of the interop hadn't allow for the necessary extensive discussions, so
I suggest to start now thinking about this on the theory mailing list
and maybe during a telecon (date to be defined).

I guess the bunch of people that could discuss all together should
include Claudio, Rick and Rodrigo as a minimum. Maybe Franck, as another
example of microsimulation (photodissociation models). I know Franck
would like to implement a SimDAP on PDR. Of course, I'd be happy to
participate as much as possible to the discussions.

Let me know what's your feeling about this.

Best regards,
Herve

--
Herve WOZNIAK

http://herve.wozniak.fr/

Centre de Recherche Astrophysique de Lyon
UMR 5574 Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 - CNRS - ENS-Lyon
9, avenue Charles Andre, F-69561 Saint Genis Laval cedex

Phone:  (+33) (0) 478 868 388 	Fax:    (+33) (0) 478 868 386