simulation data models

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 26 14:36:35 PST 2007

Hello Gerard,

Your message comes at a good time for me to introduce myself. I'm a
graduate student working with Mike Norman at UCSD, and I attended the
NVO Summer School this year to learn more about the IVOA, in the
hopes of publishing the results of our simulations to the NVO.

While at the Summer School, I implemented a SkyNode based  on a use
case you wrote up a while ago, the Theory SkyNode. I've been
following the work of the Theory Interest Group from the sidelines,
and am planning to go with whatever standards arise. Which is why the
database tables exposed via the SkyNode are minimal, and only provide
summary information on X-ray clusters identified in an existing
archive. I am assuming I'll have to change things later, so I'm
taking things slow.

With that said, I've put some thought into how to organize our
simulation data with the goal of it being published to the NVO. I'd
be happy to organize my notes into a draft document, if you think it
would be of use.

Further, as a result of the Summer School, I was able to presented my
work at AAS in Seattle. You can view a copy of my poster here:
http://lca.ucsd.edu/Members/rpwagner/PosterRickWagner.pdf

I spoke with Gus Evrard at AAS, and he expressed an interest to work
on a common data model for galaxy clusters to enable code comparison.
All three or our groups have built databases containing tabulated
properties of simulated objects, and there may be enough common
properties to the database schemas to draft a data model for clusters.

Sincerely,
Rick

Rick Wagner, Graduate Student Researcher
UCSD Physics
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA  92093-0424
Email:  rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu