IVOA Document Standards RFC V1.2

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sun Sep 20 15:02:57 PDT 2009

Bob and all, hello.

I put off taking part in this discussion back in July, but given the
recent TCG discussion about the requiring or not of implementations,
I'd like to add something tentatively here.  There are two strands:
what should funders want, and how should they be persuaded they're
getting what they need.

On 2009 Jul 3, at 23:43, Robert Hanisch wrote:

> [...]

This is slightly parenthetical, but given that standardisations are
all about the _reputation_ of the standards body, then I think it's at
least _reasonable_ for a standards body to say 'if we're going to
invest our reputation in a standard, then we can expect participants
to invest resources in the standard they claim to support'.  End
parenthesis.

Bob, responding to Mark, said:

>>> As above.  Agreement on these standards is a major milestone.
>>> Read any of
>>> the NVO Quarterly Reports to NSF (all are on the NVO web page, in
>>> the
>>> document collection) and you can see how important these are in
>>> terms of
>>> deliverables.

I don't much like Bob's argument here, but I do respect it as an
important one, and I want to criticise it on its own terms.

The various funders want to support the development of standards which
(a) are good for the discipline, and (b) are respected enough that
they are taken up by the community.  The funders want some evidence
that this is happening, and ideally that it happened as a result of
their support.  'Number of standards agreed' is a convenient metric
for progress for obvious reasons -- it's quantitative and reasonably
predictable.  However I think it is not a good metric for measuring
progress towards either of the goals the funder _actually_ has.

The IVOA is one of a range of standards bodies in the world.  I've had
some exposure to the standards of ISO, W3C, IETF, ECMA and OCLC.
Those bodies have different funding models, cultures, and timescales,
and their standards have very different authorities, from the
(generally) high-status, pragmatic and broadly implemented IETF ones,
to the joke ECMA ones.  A common criticism of ISO standards is that
they're produced by highly political committees, and are barely
implementable -- bad.

The IVOA's funders (I hope) want IVOA standards to be at the upper end
of that range of authority, but agreeing standards too early -- going
off half-cocked, in the rush to report number of standards agreed --
could militate _against_ our standards having the authority we and
they want.

So what _can_ we show to the funders?

Mark mentioned:

>> maybe there's
>> another way forward: declare an intermediate document stage of
>> "accepted in principle, no major changes expected, but revisions
>> possible on the basis of implementation experience".  This stage
>> could be sold as the one that counts to the funding agencies.

This is very similar to the W3C's 'Candidate recommendation' stage
(one of the few bits of W3C process that we didn't lift).  This is the
stage before 'proposed recommendation' [1], and is for standards where
'W3C believes the technical report is stable and appropriate for
implementation. The technical report may still change based on
implementation experience.'   Thus it's a formal (reportable)
milestone, with the implication that a lot of hard work has been done
and the only changes between now and PR will be based on
implementation experience.  You don't really need implementations to
get to CR, but you do need at least one implementation of every
feature in order to proceed beyond PR.

I'm not pushing this CR stage as a magical solution, but I believe
that something like this is necessary for the IVOA, and desirable for
the IVOA's funders, if someone can work out how to tell them so.

   * We don't want IVOA standards to get the 'ignore v1.0' reputation
which we'll get if we rush standards to REC too quickly -- that just
wastes time and makes us look cheap.

   * I think any standard is a poor standard if it proceeds to REC
without implementations, validators, or some other public concrete
evidence that it's _ready_. Having the WG Chair say 'I can feel it in
my bones' does not count. [that is, I'm firmly in the must-implement
rather than should-implement camp]

   * I think a standard is a poor standard, if it normatively depends
on still-draft standards. [this shouldn't need saying]

   * If no-one can be bothered to implement a pre-REC standard, then
that is evidence that that standard should not exist. [sure, there are
plenty of people for whom this would be too early to implement, but if
there aren't any early-adopters, what's the point?]

> It was understood from the beginning of IVOA that standards would
> evolve and
> that first versions would likely need to change.  I found something
> I wrote
> back in March 2004, concerning the registry standards, that I think
> remains
> relevant today:
>
> We need to reach agreements quickly, build to them, and iterate to
> improve
> them.  We need to be willing to build and revise, or even in some
> cases
> throw away and start again.  We have set up a standards process that
> recognizes change, and is intended to be responsive to change. I do
> not
> believe we can afford to set 2-3 year schedules for reaching
> consensus. If
> it takes this long, the community upon which we will utimately
> depend for
> support will see us as purveyors of snake-oil, and will blow us off.

I agree with the sentiment, and agree with the need for iterations and
(particularly) discarding when necessary.  Standards do need updating
and improving.  But that doesn't imply making v1.0 standards throwaway.

The problem is that we _do_ appear to have 2-3 year schedules for
reaching consensus.  If that's too long (and I'd agree with 'snake
oil' for ambitious proposals in permanent draft), then we need to
shorten the process earlier, perhaps by insisting that v1 proposals
are less ambitious, but not by skipping an important late stage.

A 'standard' which turns out to be unimplementable is also snake oil,
and I'd argue that it's _worse_ than one in permanent draft, because
at least the permanent doesn't pretend to be a fully thought-through
document.

I appreciate that this may be a hard sell to funders (and I say this
while up to the elbows in my half-written grant proposals).  You know
what you (plural) signed up for!

All the best (and good luck),

Norman

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfi

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK