Versioning

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 2 12:19:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

This is a discussion that I started within my WG just to solicit
opinion. Can the Standards WG please clarify:

The response was posted to my comments on the RFC page:

"The Committee agrees that the version numbering scheme is challenging
when dealing with namespaces and WSDL, and leads to the conclusion
that when IVOA standards describe web services or have associated XML
schemas, with namespaces that when changed, cause software to break,
then these changes must both be accompanied by an increment to the
integer part of the document and the associated "supplementary" files.
This would not affect most of the standards documents, and should not
present any real logistical difficulty, as there are a sufficient
number of integers available to support any number of revisions. "

I explain:

This has greatest impact for this working group (GWS but I am also
cross-posting to Semantics)  and essentially means that ALL (WD, PR,
etc) versions of our specs with WSDL/XML/RDF documents (anything with
a namespace) will only carry integer versions.

So, for example, the progression of VOSpace 2.0 would actually proceed
as:

VOSpace 2 (first WD)
VOSpace 3 (second WD)
VOSpace 4 (third WD)
VOSpace 5 (first PR)
VOSpace 6 (second PR)
VOSpace 7 (final PR)
VOSpace 8 (REC)

The next version would then VOSpace 9, etc.

Is this a valid interpretation of the spec?

The standards documents says:

"The number to the left of the (first) decimal point starts with 0 for
documents that are being discussed within a Working Group prior to
publication for IVOA-wide review.  The number increments to 1 for the
first public version, and to 2, 3, ..., for subsequent versions that
are not backward compatible and/or require substantial revisions to
implementations."

The definition of a Working Draft is:

"A Working Draft is published at the discretion of a Working Group
once the WG is satisfied that the document is sufficiently developed
to merit broader exposure and feedback"

So I think that a Working Draft fulfils the "IVOA-wide review"
criterion.

The alternate suggestion from Dave Morris and with much support is:

If the integer rule only applied to something that has been accepted
as a recommendation.

VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (first WD)
VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (second WD)
VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (third WD)
VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (first PR)
VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (second PR)
VOSpace 2.0-yyymmdd (final PR)
VOSpace 2.0 (REC)

VOSpace 2.1-yyymmdd (first WD) (minor text changes only)
VOSpace 2.1-yyymmdd (final PR) (minor text changes only)
VOSpace 2.1 (REC)

VOSpace 3.0-yyymmdd (first WD) (changes to service behavior or xml
schema)

I think this needs to be clarified one way or the other.

	Cheers,

	Matthew