Software licensing

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 01:10:36 PST 2004

For information, the license that I am looking into for IVOA projects use is
the Common Public License:
  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php

I have a question about point *18* which I've directed to the authors (IBM):

'Does this mean that a commercial company who makes use of a portion or all
of our code and wishes to sell that modified code, must make the source code
of their amendments available?'

Basically I wanted to make sure any code produced is freely available with
no constraint on its use except to keep copyright notices in the code.

I'll update this list when I get a response.

Cheers,
Tony.

__
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
        University of Leicester
        Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH

Project Manager,            Director,
AstroGrid                   Leicester e-Science Centre
http://www.astrogrid.org    http://www.e-science.le.ac.uk/