version numbers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 1 04:24:59 PST 2004

Hi Marco,

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Marco C. Leoni wrote:
> - do we really need 10000 versions in between ver. 0.1 and the first
> published WD (i.e. ver. 1.0)?

No, of course not.  But I expect that it won't be uncommon that we'll
need more than ten.

> - the documents process does not take into account the xml files et
> similia: they are "supplementary resources" that means you can follow
> your preferred numbering schema (CVS, RCS, VSS, etc.).

In some cases where a document has an associated standard schema (e.g.
ADQL), it would advantageous to have the XML version track the document
version.  Even in general, people will want to just adopt one system as a
matter of practice.

Consider the situation of VOResource, whose version now sits at 0.9.  We
have a choice between whether to make a major fundemental change to the
core model or just an incremental change.  (This is not hypothetical.)
In my suggested system, it's a choice between going to 0.10 or 0.9.1.  In
the IVOA system, I'm pretty much forced to go to 0.91.

Is there functional disadvantage to my system?

(I hope I'm not overblowing this one.)

cheers,
Ray