[ssig] Hello, IVOA Solar System Interest Group!

Stéphane Erard stephane.erard at obspm.fr
Wed Jun 14 07:52:28 CEST 2023

Hello Anne

> Le 13 juin 2023 à 14:57, Anne Catherine Raugh <araugh at umd.edu> a écrit :
>
> Hi Stépane!
>
> On the subject of spectral cubes - as I suspect you know, this has been a sore point in PDS for a long time. The variations in the data typically reflected the variations in the instruments and how the cubes were assembled during an observing sequence. Of course the software used by the instrument teams also had an influence.

Yes, I've had a concern for years as OMEGA, VIMS, CRISM, VIRTIS, VIR and DeepImpact use inconsistent formats.
Part of the pb was due to fuzzy/incomplete specs in PDS3 (additional planes + geometry & wvl), and I'm not sure how this evolved in PDS4.
This prevents using generic tools to visualize the data (except as successive planes, eg, in ENVI)

> Is the goal to define a standardized format, or a standardized way of describing the various formats out there?

This has been an open issue for years but this was never really discussed I think. This is probably on a longer time scale than the roadmap, but we should at least start an inventory and a comparison with existing solutions in astronomy, and look at recent dev in OGC.

Best wishes
Stéphane