[ssig] Hello, IVOA Solar System Interest Group!

Anne Catherine Raugh araugh at umd.edu
Mon Jun 12 16:44:45 CEST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

It has been some time since this mailing list has seen much activity, so
perhaps I should introduce myself: I'm your Solar System Interest Group
Chair, Anne Raugh. I work at the Planetary Data System's Small Bodies Node
and have been chair for a couple years now. My new Vice-Chair is Markus
Demleitner.

If you've been following planetary developments at the IVOA, then you know
that EPN-TAP 2.0 and MOC 2.0 (with temporal coverage) were approved last
year, progress is being made on generating a comprehensive list of
observatory codes using WikiData and other resources, VESPA is going
strong, and there is increasing interest at astrophysical observatories in
supporting planetary IVOA users as reported at recent Interops.

The "big ticket" item on our roadmap for this semester is to prototype the
incorporation of body-fixed planetary reference frames into the Reference
Frames Vocabulary
<https://www.ivoa.net/rdf/refframe/2022-02-22/refframe.html>. If you have
particular interest in this topic, now would be an excellent time to start
an email thread on that subject.

Also, if there are other pressing planetary issues that should be raised or
prioritized for Solar System Interest Group attention, please do raise them
here. (Note that the next meeting of the TCG is next Wednesday.)

Regards,

Anne Raugh
Solar System Interest Group Chair
PDS Small Bodies Node