[ssig] PDS4 support in TOPCAT

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 15:49:22 CET 2022

Dear SSIG,

this is a short advert to say that the most recent releases of TOPCAT
(v4.8-3) and STILTS (v3.4-3) introduce support for the PDS4 format.
Specifically, they can read in Table data in PDS4 files, though
most of the non-tabular information (including Arrays) in the label
is ignored.

I believe that most or all PDS4 tables should be supported;
there's some more detail here:

   http://www.starlink.ac.uk/topcat/sun253/inPds4.html

but basically just opening a PDS4 label file with the Load dialogue
should do the right thing.  You can then use all the normal topcat
capabilities such as plotting, manipulating columns, calculating
statistics, saving in different formats etc.

Downloads are here:

   http://www.starlink.ac.uk/topcat/
   http://www.starlink.ac.uk/stilts/

Any questions, feedback, bug reports etc please get back to me.

Thanks!

Mark

--
Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/