[VO-semantics- UCD updates ]VEP-UCD-003.txt - "pos.moc" proposal and discussion

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Tue Mar 29 13:05:37 CEST 2022

hi Stephane & hi Semantics members,

I discuss here the VEP-UCD3.txt proposal :

I guess we need to distinguish 2 uses-cases :
1- an encoding of the MOC as a string as expressed in the MOC
specification :
https://www.ivoa.net/documents/MOC/20191007/REC-MOC-1.1-20191007.pdf
subsection 2.3.2 String serialization

This can be inserted as a table column with one ucd like :
/meta.multiordercoverage/ or shorter /meta.moc/
then the kind of coverage axes included in the tessellation encoding
should depend on an xtype to be defined as :
S_MOC, ST_MOC, T_MOC, E_MOC if there is one definition for energy
coverage in the future.

Here the UCD string tells that a coverage is described in this column,
the content is /the string encoding of a MOC /.
it fits to all data product types : image , time series, eventlist , etc
, catalog
it encodes only the coverage of the tessellation of the data .
Data values , pixels, flux are not here.

2- data product type
When we deal with a HiPS Survey , or a HiPS observation, the data
product type  tells more about  which axes the data vary along.
a data product is needed to describe the collection of tiles, described
in the MOC string that contain data .
This can be an image survey  with S_MOC or ST_MOC, a time series (with
T_MOC or ST_MOC ), a cube survey (with ST_MOC or only S_MOC) etc.
The measurements belong to the data products , the tesselated coverage
belongs to the string encoded MOC.

And we may want to handle image surveys with S_MOC only or ST_MOC ,
currently the tessellation coverage , and the nature of the data
collection are
independant.

I hope this helps .
Comments welcome, Mireille