UCD validator

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Thu Mar 3 10:47:39 CET 2022

Hi Mark ,
thanks for your explanation.

I am interested in these checking tools , in order to manage the
evolution of UCD lists.
Do you mind propagating your exemple ?

my test table ( attached ) has only params , and no data table so the
function I found in the last topcat version cannot
work.

thanks , Mireille

Le 01/03/2022 à 18:01, Mark Taylor a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> stilts/topcat can do this, but votlint is not the easiest way to access
> the UCD validation functionality, the ucdStatus and ucdMessage
> functions in the expression language are the best tools for the job:
>
>     http://www.starlink.ac.uk/stilts/sun256/uk.ac.starlink.ttools.func.VO.html
>
> These are based on Gregory Mantelet's Ucidy library which does quite
> careful UCD validation.
>
> I just sent Alberto separately an example of how this can be used.
> I guess he will forward it to Bo(?) but I can repeat it here if required.
>
> Mark
>

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Mireille LOUYS wrote:
>
>> Dear Bo, dear Alberto,
>>
>> the tool you are using for validation does not handle properly contatenation
>> for 3 terms especially as you describe when two SS need to be concatenated.
>>
>> we use instead this assigning tool now :
>> http://cds.u-strasbg.fr/UCD/cgi-bin/descr2ucd
>>
>> from the definition :  "luminosity in V band min value"
>> it builds : /phys.luminosity;em.opt.V;stat.min/
>>
>> if you want to validate your ucd fields, I think the stilts tool from Mark
>> Taylor will help a lot
>> http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/stilts/sun256/votlint-usage.html
>>
>> here attached is a test votable :
>> when you install stilts and run this command :
>> />> stilts -verbose votlint ucd=true validate=true votable=./testucd.xml
>> you get this result
>> /INFO: votlint version=null validate=true ucd=true unit=null maxrepeat=4
>> votable=./testucd.xml out=-
>> ERROR (l.22, c.97): Bad UCD "em.opt.V;phys.luminosity;stat.min"
>> (BAD_SEQUENCE): UCD starting with a SECONDARY UCD word: "em.opt.V"! Such words
>> can NOT be in first position.
>>
>> so the 2 SS combinations are valid and only em.opt  is detected in the wrong
>> position , which is correct.
>>
>> I encourage you to use votlint for your checks.
>>
>> best , Mireille
>>
>> Le 25/02/2022 à 16:59, Bo Milvang-Jensen a écrit :
>>> Dear Alberto and all,
>>>
>>> Thank you for adding me in cc. I am the user who is working on assigning
>>> UCDs to 1200 catalogue columns, prior to publication in ESO's Phase 3 system
>>> (supported by Laura Mascetti), and that is a bit of a headache. Just to
>>> spell out this particular problem: the UCD1+ v1.4 document only says (in my
>>> reading) that an S word cannot be first, it does not say that an S word has
>>> to be last! but the validator at CDS seems to think so.
>>>
>>> This means that according to the validator at CDS there is no way to
>>> construct a UCD describing a minimum value of a V-band luminosity, as the
>>> corresponding 3 words cannot be combined in any way:
>>>
>>> phys.luminosity;stat.min;em.opt.V --- violates the claimed ESS rule
>>> phys.luminosity;em.opt.V;stat.min --- violates the claimed ESS rule
>>> stat.min;phys.luminosity;em.opt.V --- of course not allowed (stat.min: S