Question about IVOA vocabs - labels, identifiers

Robert Rovetto ontologos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 02:03:49 CEST 2022

Hi all,
If I have the correct version, the current vocabs include:- there are many acronyms or short-names in the label annotations.- the identifiers are often acronyms or short-names as well
- full-phrase names in comment annotations.
Pardon if I'm unaware of prior historical discussion...Two questions:
1) What is everyone's current views on labels and identifiers, for each vocab/ontology construct, in general?
Example alternative:- in labels: use fullly spelt out names- declare other metadata anotations for acronyms and short-names- and either (a) use some readable phrase for the identifier, or (b) use some identifier format (e.g., random-number/GUID/UUID, or other )

What do you think of that scenario?
2) Have you experienced any problems or limited capability as a result of either the current state of the label and identifier formats, or in trying alternatives?
What would you say are pros and cons of any or all?
Thanks
P.S. if anyone has pointers on formal opportunities, formal collaborators, funders to pursue such research & dev. topics, please let me know separately. Like mentioned in my presentation to the group not long ago, i've been on the search for working on these topics for a long time, either for formal collaborations, PhD study, or employment.

Rob(erto)--Schedule a Meeting.Hire.
 Orbital Space Domain Knowledge Modeling Project: https://purl.org/space-ontologyNASA Datanauts Open Data Initiative class of 2017
Education Committee, International Association for Ontology and its Applications.Merchant Mariner. Available to serve in rescue response. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3835-7817