VOUnit for solar density or metallicity?

Molinaro, Marco marco.molinaro at inaf.it
Wed Jun 1 10:16:14 CEST 2022

Hi Markus,

A few comments.

Example: Solar/Space Weather people use SFU
as a really common and understood unit.

I don't expect them to be bought in to use
10**-22W.m**-2.Hz-1 instead of SFU.

So, if I'm to follow your reasoning, should
SFU be in VOUnits unquoted?

Or try to force solar people to use Jansky
(4 orders of magnitude away)?

I might have mistaken something.

It's not a matter of legacy (not here and I
suspect other cases exist), but some units,
derived from basic SI ones, are commonly used.

How should we cope with that?
Let clients understand that all 10**-22W.m**-2.Hz**-1
means SFU?
Adding extra metadata to define when it means SFU
and when not?

Cheers
    Marco

--
Marco Molinaro
INAF - Istituto Nazionale di AstroFisica
email marco.molinaro at inaf.it
tel. [+39] 333 33 20 564 [also Telegram]