VOUnit for solar density or metallicity?

Molinaro, Marco marco.molinaro at inaf.it
Wed Jun 1 09:07:37 CEST 2022

Hi Semantics,

I also agree with Markus' view.

Can I ask something that might derail the topic a bit?

Would it be that bad to have controlled units lists
alongside the VOUnit REC, using an approach similar
to ADQL-UDF or SAMP-MTypes or ... i.e. non normative
but shared within specific communities?

I think solar physics could be a case, but other
specific domains might benefit.

Goal would be: clients aware of these might use them,
unaware clients/researchers will just skip by.

I suppose all of these should go within the 'unknown'
§2.11 quoted ones.

Pro:
- common units outside the normative VOUnits can be
used with some more meaning
- VOunits can be kept clean of domain specific, even
if widely used, solutions

Cons:
- extra parsing step for those who want to interpret
them (remove quote, go on parsing)
- extra controlled lists maintenance
- (a sentence in VOUnits - §2.8? -)

Cheers
    Marco

--
Marco Molinaro
INAF - Istituto Nazionale di AstroFisica
email marco.molinaro at inaf.it
tel. [+39] 333 33 20 564 [also Telegram]