Facilities and Instrument taxonomy

Anne Catherine Raugh araugh at umd.edu
Fri Jan 28 14:50:36 CET 2022

There is an increasing call for such a thing, and not just for astrophysics
- planetary has similar issues. The PDS approach was designed specifically
for spacecraft. Attempts to extend it to groundbased and airborne
observatories have been, shall we say, less than satisfying.

The only lists I have encountered for planetary are very purpose-driven:
The Minor Planet Center list of Observatory Codes (
https://minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/ObsCodesF.html) exists to provide
very specific coordinates for the point of observation which are then used
to derive the astrometry of submitted observations. It includes only
observatories that have contributed observations to the MPC. Sometimes
"observatory" includes a telescope designation, sometimes not. The
Planetary Data System "context collection" (
https://pds.nasa.gov/data/pds4/context-pds4/), which provides unique
internal identifiers and high-level description for things like spacecraft
and instruments, is a patchwork of confusion between observatory sites,
observatory organizations, telescope names/sizes, and so on applied nearly
randomly by people who just want to have "the answer" to fill in their data
labels. Context objects are created as they are needed in PDS, so there is,
in general, very little planning or stability in assigning identifiers. PDS
nodes other than my own do not seem to consider this an important
consideration, so even the small collection there is corrupted by
duplication and misidentification.

I don't know the underlying database criteria or how it was maintained, but
I thought there might have been more order in the collection of the
Astronomical Almanac. Unfortunately, their observatory search page is
nonfunctional and apparently abandoned:
https://asa.hmnao.com/SecJ/Observatories.html.

Anne Raugh
PDS Small Bodies Node