arith.diff, arith.ratio

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Wed Sep 1 19:05:18 CEST 2021

Hello Markus,

we did discuss this point some years ago.
we reached the agreement that when a mathematical operator is applied to
physical quantities,
what is important is still to keep the emphasis on the physical quantity
and not on the operator applied to it.

Best,
Andrea Preite Martinez and Mireille Louys

Le 01/09/2021 à 08:48, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear Semantics community,
>
> Since we're puzzling about P and S UCDs a bit already, I'd like to
> bring up two atoms the status of which I've never quite understood:
> arith.diff and arith.ratio.
>
> Suppose a table contains a difference between two RA measurements.
> Going by the UCD spec's:
>
>    While it is possible to build a UCD as a combination of several
>    simple words, the primary word carries most of the meaning as to
>    “what the quantity is”.
>
> I would make this "arith.diff;pos.eq.ra", since this is a
> *difference* (of RAs).  But given that arith.diff is S, I can't do
> that, and it seems I'll have to go for pos.eq.ra;arith.diff.  That,
> again, seems very wrong to me, as the column doesn't contain anything
> like an RA.
>
> A similar reasononing would apply to, say,
> phys.temperature;arith.ratio.
>
> So... does anyone remember why arith.diff and arith.ratio were
> labeled S?  Am I perhaps using these atoms against their intended
> meaning?
>
> Thanks,
>
>                Markus

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34