VEP6: blurry definition for the term #calibration

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 15:21:07 CET 2021

Hi All,

here are my thoughts on this, and derive from my definition of of the terms.

* Fundamentally a “calibrator” is not a progenitor, but it is a modifier of the progenitor(s) to create the progeny

this rules out any solutions that;
   - point to calibrator files as “#progenitor”
   - have #calibration as a child of #progenitor in the vocabulary.

the consequences of this are

* #calibration links do not make the distinction between “can be used” and “was used” - either could be true.
* the distinction between raw and calibrated data is made with another piece of metadata.

I think that this is sufficient, because, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, in order to really redo calibration with most modern instrumentation would require more detailed provenance anyway.

This does mean some change to https://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core/2020-09-02/datalink.html <https://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core/2020-09-02/datalink.html> but different wording to that proposed in VEP6

Regards,
	Paul.

p.s. to support my definition of calibrator and progenitor above - you can create a poor quality image of your target source without the calibration data, but you cannot create such an image from the calibration data alone.