VEP-006: Discussion summary

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jun 16 12:47:52 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I think I never publicly gave my opinion on this VEP, although I
discussed it in private probably.
I will do it with my DataLink author's hat.

When a use-case requires modification/addition of/in the "semantics"
field vocabulary I think it's wise to adopt following attitude for
(because compatibility purposes:

1 ) minimize term discrepancy
2 ) minimize term definition changes
3 ) minimize tree re-arranging (because clients may select links on tree
head element instead of simple terms)

The best thing for a new need is to create a new term (and even a new
branch)

For these reasons I don't agree with Markus proposal and I also
partially disagree with Mireille counter-proposal (for reason 3 above)
although I follow most of her argumentation against the VEP proposal as
it is now.

1 ) The current definition of #calibration (and child elements) is
unambiguous I think.  They currently read "resource used to calibrate
the primary data" , "used to subtract the detector offset level" (bias),
"used to subtract the accumulated detector dark current" (dark), "used
to calibrate variations in detector sensitivity" (flat)
To me this looks unambiguous and means that the link's target HAS been
used to calibrate this. And I think the use-case for that is quality
checking as Mireille an Paul already enhanced it.

2 ) I don't think the proposal to merge calibration stuff already used
inside progenitor is valid for two reasons
       a ) this is not the usage I know for this term. I think it's used
for "rawer" dataset than #this. The current definition may be a little
bit ambiguous and could be slightly modified "data resources that were
used to create this dataset (e.g. input raw data)" --> the example
should become the definition
       b ) I don't think we can find anybody in the VO who used
#progenitor for calibration files ... just because we had #calibration
branch beside from the beginning !!!

3 ) push calibration stuff inside #auxiliary (which is currently too
loosely defined "auxiliary resources") . I don't think it's a good idea,
because the child terms (weight, noise, error) look like byproducts of
the processing

4 ) For all these reasons I think the need expressed by Markus
(calibration stuff which CAN BE APPLIED to #this) needs a new branch.
Something like #calibration-applicable (or #applicable-calibration). IN
addition we could refine the definition of #progenitor (to bind it more
closely to rawer science data) and maybe of #auxiliary

5 ) the main drawback of this proposal is that we will have to repeat
the calibration branch children in parralel into calibration-applicable
(eg : #flat and #flat-applicable, etc...)
      I see another possible solution following Ada Nebot thoughts
(https://github.com/ivoa-std/DataLink/issues/44) . "applied" or
"applicable" is a "relationship" to #this. "calibration" belongs to
"information". If we COULD admit to combine terms we COULD avoid
duplicating the branch. Just create #applicable and #applied terms and
then write
               #calibration;#applied, #dark;#applicable etc ....
       In addition for upgrade compatibility we could imagine that
#calibration terms are "#applied" by default and then have addition of
#applicable (when appropriate) MANDATORY.

Cheers
François