FAIR semantics

Francoise Genova francoise.genova at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jun 4 11:40:09 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

As you know the FAIR principles are currently a hot topic, and requiring
that data produced by projects is FAIR is on the agenda of many
projects. The I2 FAIR guiding principles from Wilkinson et al. states
that '(meta)data uses vocabularies that follow FAIR principles'. There
is ongoing work to define what a 'FAIR vocabulary' means, in particular
in the FAIRsFAIR project and in the RDA Vocabulary and Semantic Services
IG (VSSIG). The current version of the FAIR Semantics Recommendations is
here: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4314321

The IVOA manages a collection of vocabularies, and at some point it will
likely be useful to have them recognised as FAIR. I would like to
suggest that we have a look at FAIRsFAIR recommendations and check how
we fit. They welcome comments at https://github.com/FAIRsFAIR/FAIRSemantics

There is ongoing work to define a metadata schema for ontologies and
ontology collections (as a DCAT profile).

Cheers

Francoise