VEP-006: Discussion summary

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 2 18:47:28 CEST 2021

Hi Pat, all,

Le 17/06/2021 à 00:18, Patrick Dowler a écrit :

> I just want to comment on the two competing interpretations of
> #calibration (and children) and how one would use them in datalink.
>
> Suppose you have two data products from ObsCore: raw data at
> calib_level 1 and calibrated data at calib_level 2. With the
> #calibration that could be applied interpretation, the datalink(s)
> provided could be something like:
>
> rawID #this {url to raw fits file}
> rawID #dark {url to a suitable dark frame}
> rawID #flat {url to a suitable flat field}
> rawID #derivation {url to datalinks for calibID}
>
> calibID #this {url to calibrated fits file}
> calibID #progenitor {url to datalinks for rawID}
>
> With this set of links, clients that find the rawID can find out about
> the derivation or they can chose to download #this, #bias, and #flat
> and then do the subtraction and division: those rawID links are
> "actionable". Clients that find the calibID can navigate to the
> progenitor to look at the calibration files associated. Caveat: this
> doesn't say those were the actual calibration files used -- those
> could be the default recommended calibration files -- so it is a
> weaker statement. Knowing those were actually applied to create
> "calibID #this" requires provenance.... for that maybe we really want
> something like:
>
> calibID #provenance {url to provenance metadata eg instance of ProvDM}
>
> On the other hand, with the #calibration already applied
> interpretation, you would have links like this:
>
> rawID #this {url to raw fits file}
> rawID #derivation {url to datalinks for calibID}
>
> calibID #this {url to calibrated fits file}
> calibID #bias {url to the bias frame}
> calibID #flat {url to the flat field}
> calibID #progenitor {url to datalinks for rawID}

It can also happen that a discovery service only delivers calibID and
that #rawID is only delivered through DataLink. One example is ALMA
ObsTAP/SIA services where the raw (visibility) data are made availbale
in DataLink only.
> So, someone with the calibID could examine the calibration files and
> in principle someone with the rawID could navigate to the derivation
> and find the calibration files. In this case the interpretation of
> calibration (and children) is a little stronger and you could infer
> that they were the ones actually used to produce "calibID #this" and
> you could use those links to recalibrate "rawID #this".
>
> *And here is the big BUT:* #calibration already applied is only useful
> if you actually have the calibrated data! A data provider with only
> raw data  (yeah, that is still a thing) has no way to tell users how
> to calibrate "rawID #this".
Sure.
> *
> *
> *So, there are two use cases here: assess quality by looking at
> calibration files already applied vs perform calibration of raw data.
> You really want to do the latter in the case where calibrated data
> doesn't exist, which means only one of the above interpretations works.*

*I fully agree. If we have two use cases we need two terms (or two
parallel families of terms). An option could be to admit to concatenate
"applied" or "applicable" to #calibration, #bias, etc...*

*Something like #calibration;#applied, #bias;#applicable, etc .... If we
admit concatenating terms in semantics (open question)
*

> . Aside 1: the top-level concept of #auxiliary seems to me to indicate
> "resources needed to interpret #this" (error, noise, weights are in
> there) and I think if calibID above could have some #auxiliary links
> for some of the things we've discussed... I don't think calibration
> terms belong in there in either interpretation)
+1

> Aside 2: in the above, the cross linking with #progenitor and
> #derivation are intended to mean "calibID #this to rawID #this" and
> not to specify that "calibID #this" was created from all of the rawID
> links. That is, I do agree the #progenitor is for the "science data"
> and a #progenitor link to another set of links just means that "rawID"
> is the progenitor. I'm not actually sure that's the best way to
> present a link to other links... it is just an example.

humm. Not sure to catch that. Sorry !

Cheers

François