Question - History of ivoa onto of astronomical object types

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 3 09:15:34 CET 2021

Robert,

On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 07:45:29AM +0000, Robert Rovetto wrote:
> Can anyone on the list who were original developers of that
> ontology share the history of it?

I suppose you're referring to
https://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/AstrObjectOntology/. First, for
orientation: This was a technology study that did not actually make
it to any productive application (as far as I am aware).  Our current
effort, http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/object-type/, is only loosely
connected to that.  If I were to draw a provenance tree of the whole
thing, this vocabulary would be quite a bit down a different branch.

Having said that, almost all of the original authors are now retired
or are working outside of science and are hence no longer reading
this list.  If you'd like to collect some history on that particular
effort, you might hence be better off trying to locate some of the
authors using other channels and ask them directly.

          -- Markus