[VEP-004]Re: Datalink vocabulary extension: sibling?

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed May 6 13:03:35 CEST 2020

Dear Markus, all

Le 21/04/2020 à 11:28, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear lists,
>
> [because François asked about it: I suppose as a "good idea" item,
> cc:ing semantics in vocabulary discussions is probably a good thing
> to do in general; that way, for people just interested in terminology
> work it'd be enough to subscribe that].
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:51:15PM +0200, François Bonnarel wrote:
>> I agree that #see-also covers nearly everything we can imagine in the
>> contexte of Datalink as was my initial proposal of "#associated_data" in
>> VEP001.
>>
>> I think it's true that something like what Markus defined as sharing the
>> same "progenitor with #this" and that he called #sibling is needed.
>>
>> But )
>>
>>    -   Due to the   "non intuitive" terminology, I suggest a synonymous :
>> #co-generated.  This is directly inspired by Provenance dataModel, a new
>> IVOA recommendation dated  April the 11th this year. If you share a
> Sounds ok to me.
>
> Now, vocabularies 2 currently says on VEP review:
>
>    During the process, all parts of the VEP may be changed except the
>    term(s) proposed.
>
> and I still think that's largely a good idea.
>
> Hence, before I retract VEP-003 and replace it with an essentially
> identical VEP-004 with co-generated: Would anyone here object to that
> or strongly prefer #sibling?

So following your suggestion this is the text for VEP-004 essentialy
copied and pasted from VEP-003

Vocabulary:http://ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core
Author: François Bonnarel, Markus Demleitner,msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Date: 2020_05-06
Supercedes: VEP-003

New Term: co-generated
Action: Addition
Label: Co genertaed data
   This could be a lightcurve for an object catalog derived from repeated
   observations, the dataset processed using a different pipeline, or the
   like.
Used-in:
   http://dc.g-vo.org/gaia/q2/tsdl/dlmeta?ID=ivo://org.gavo.dc/~?gaia/q2/199286482883072/BP
   This is GAVO's rendition of the Gaia DR2 epoch photometry, where
   users retrieve a time series in a specific band; the time series
   in the other bands are the siblings of that.

Rationale:
   It is fairly common in complex pipelines that multiple data products
   result from a single observation. I  provenance terms they are entities generated by
   an activity using the same entity.
   Often, this is true even in a
   single pipeline step, and hence the data products are not in a
   progenitor-derivation relationship.  Still, researchers will want to
   know about these data products; for instance, while exploring a source
   in Gaia, a quick way to access epoch photometry or the RP/BP spectra
   is obviously valuable; such artefacts are not really progenitors of
   the catalog entry, though.  In such cases, #co-generated (or perhaps one of
   its future child terms) should be used.

   Clients should offer #co-generated links in a context of scientific
   exploitation of the dataset (as opposed to, say, debugging).

Cheers

François