VEP-004: #counterpart in datalink/core

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Fri Jun 26 11:56:41 CEST 2020

Hi Markus , Hi all,

I think this term fits the use-case when we want to relate to another
science data item that brings material
for interpretation outside the scope of an existing project.
The use-case is /comparing/ science data from other experiments to the
content of #this.

In the description text below, I agree with the first part  .
What is the meaning of the last part?

'spectra of dust of common origin but different laboratories'

are good examples of dataproducts of different provenance.

Can we put it in the example section ?

Something I am not comfortable with in the VEP process is the fact that
we discuss one term , separated from the others and therefore do not
always see the coverage, depencies  and overlap between the notions .

currently we have :
http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core/2020-06-26/datalink.html

as far as I understand it :
#conterpart is a main term serving comparison purpose
orthogonal in meaning to
#progenitor
#calibration
#auxiliary
#preview
and there child terms

Used_in section:
I suppose there are also use-cases catalogs enriched with associated data.
I let archive scientists and providers expand on this more precisely.

cheers , Mireille.

Le 26/06/2020 à 10:08, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
>    Data products sharing the target of the experiment or observation
>    that led to #this but of unrelated provenance.  This could be
>    observations of the same object in different wavelengths or along
>    different axes (time, spectrum), but spectra of dust of common
>    origin but different laboratories would be #counterparts as well.

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
CDS				IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34