#calibration as child of #progenitor

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 03:09:15 CEST 2020

I always thought of #calibration as meaning "is a #calibration file for
#this". For example, if #this is raw data, the #calibration might be the
flat field that one could use to calibrate #this.

If that raw #this also had a #derivation link to the calibrated product,
that thing would list both the raw data and the calibration as #progenitor,
and it seems like trying to say something like "link to the calibration
progenitor" with a single semantics term is distinguishing what I think are
roles in Prov DM.

In general, I think the DataLink style terms must be thought of with "is"
and not "was" in front. "was a calibration" is equivalent to putting
calibration under progenitor... I'm feeling really pedantic here, but it
seems like putting something  under #progenitor is changing the tense and
not that calibration is really more specific (narrower). And no, I don't
like the camel-case style vocabulary where we'd have "is" and "was"
versions of every term.... #isCalibration and #wasCalibration? yuck

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre