Appropriate UCD for (Cartesian) unit vectors on the celestial sphere

James Tocknell james.tocknell at mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 28 07:31:30 CET 2019

Hi Baptiste

The specific survey I'm looking at is the 6dF Galaxy Survey, specifically
the CX, CY and CZ columns in the TARGET table which is documented at
http://www-wfau.roe.ac.uk/6dFGS/target.html (other tables in the survey
also use the same CX, CY, CZ, but TARGET is the simplest and the
documentation for the columns is identical). I'd naively expect to
translate those columns as something like
pos.celestial;phys.vector.unit;pos.cartesian.{x,y,z}, but I can't see a UCD
to represent a unit vector nor a UCD for something using celestial
coordinates (pos.geocentric could work instead of pos.celestial, but
representing unit vectors doesn't seem possible currently). I'm inclined to
use meta.cryptic for now, unless someone has a better suggestion?

James