Using vocabulary in models

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Oct 1 15:44:41 CEST 2019

Dear Semantic,

With the author team, we are completing the RFC answers for Provenance.
There is a strong request from Semantic for using Vocabulary instead of Enumerations to define thinks like Agent roles.

Everyone agree with this, but we do not have any clean way to publish vocabularies for now.

The options to sort this out are:
1- Keep the enumerations in place until we are able to publish a vocabulary and then to publish an erratum.
2- Keep the enumerations in place and put in the VOMDL description of attributes, broken vocabulary links with a constraint
telling users to use the Enum while the vocabulary does not work.
3- Using similar vocabularies.
4- By passing the vocabulary publishing mechanism.

None is satisfactory:
#1 does not answer the Semantic request
#2 is confusing for implementers
#3 There is no published vocabulary matching the Provenance use cases.
#4 No validation for the vocabulary.

Does someone have a better suggestion for this?

LM on behalf of Provenance.

--
jesuischarlie/Tunis/Paris/Bruxelles/Berlin

Laurent Michel
SSC XMM-Newton
Tél : +33 (0)3 68 85 24 37
Fax : +33 (0)3 )3 68 85 24 32